Portable applications are programs you can run on your computer without installation. They are especially useful if you want to use a special program for a short time, such as a tool for removing a particular virus.
Installed software may create:
- Temporary and backup files.
- Registry entries. (Used for storing settings.)
- Files in the user's profile folder.
- "Most recently used" entries.
- File associations - so it becomes a default for opening that file type.
- DLL's, hardware drivers , etc. etc.
Advantages of portable apps:
- No need to uninstall when you no longer need them.
- Dont slow your computer down
- Make every PC feel like your own
- Use your favorite software everywhere
- Carry your bookmarks and settings
- Edit your documents, photos and more
- Can run from a pen drive, mp3 player, tablet or smartphone
Portable Apps is a repository of portable applications, and also provides a platform for collecting and launching your portable applications. And of course it too is portable.
Some ideas for small portable apps for your collection: (all run from the apps platform on a memory stick)
Malware removal: Clamwin, Combofix, TDSSkiller, Roguekiller, Adwcleaner, JRT, McAfee stinger; Recuva;
Office: Kingsoft Office, Skype, Firefox, Thunderbird, Notepad2, Sumatra pdf, 7-zip, GetFolderSize;
Diagnostics: Moo0 system monitor, HWInfo, HeavyLoad, HDDScan, CrystalDiskInfo, MemTest;