Portable applications are programs you can run on your computer without installation. They are especially useful if you want to use a special program for a short time, such as a tool for removing a particular virus.
Installed software may create:
- Temporary and backup files.
- Registry entries. (Used for storing settings.)
- Files in the user's profile folder.
- "Most recently used" entries.
- File associations - so it becomes a default for opening that file type.
- DLL's, hardware drivers , etc. etc.
Advantages of portable apps:
- No need to uninstall when you no longer need them.
- Dont slow your computer down
- Make every PC feel like your own
- Use your favorite software everywhere
- Carry your bookmarks and settings
- Edit your documents, photos and more
- Can run from a pen drive, mp3 player, tablet or smartphone
Portable Apps is a repository of portable applications, and also provides a platform for collecting and launching your portable applications. And of course it too is portable. Choose and get them from the Portable Apps repository, because they are all checked for malware.
Some ideas for small portable apps for your collection: (all run from the portable apps platform on a memory stick)
Malware removal: Clamwin, Combofix, TDSSkiller, Roguekiller, Adwcleaner, JRT, McAfee stinger; Recuva;
Office: Kingsoft Office, Skype, Firefox, Thunderbird, Notepad2, Sumatra pdf, 7-zip;
Diagnostics: HWInfo, HeavyLoad, HDDScan, CrystalDiskInfo, MemTest, WebCam Viewer;
Images: Fotografix image editor, IrfanView image viewer.
Maintenance: Back4Sure, SUMO app updater & DUMO driver updater, BatteryInfoView.